- Post Date:5th October 2021
- Apply Before: 4th November 2021
- Views 28
Job Reference: 346-NYM-114-21
- Employer: Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust
- Department: Mental Health Services for Older People
- Location: Springwood Complex Needs Unit, , North Yorkshire
- Salary: £40,057 – £45,839 per annum
We are one of the largest specialist mental health and learning disabilities trusts in the country, with an annual income of £320m and a workforce of some 6,700 staff operating from around 100 sites in Durham, Teesside, North Yorkshire and York and Selby. We provide a range inpatient and community services to 2m people living in County Durham, the Tees Valley, Scarborough, Whitby, Ryedale, Harrogate, Hambleton and Richmondshire. We also provide additional specialist services to other parts of Northern England.
We deliver our services by working in partnership with eight local authorities and clinical commissioning groups, a wide range of voluntary organisations, as well as service users, their carers and the public. The services are spread over a wide geographical area of around 3,600 square miles, which includes coastal, rural and industrial areas.
We are a multi-award winning trust and are included within the Health Service Journal’s Best 100 Places to Work. The trust take a positive and proactive approach to support staff in their personal development and has embedded the Talent Management approach within the Trust, with the vision of helping people to be as good as they can be, helping TEWV to do things better.
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Registered Dietitian to join our Mental health services for older people service in the North Yorkshire region for 12 months to cover a maternity leave post.
We are looking for a motivated, experienced Specialist Dietitian wanting to expand and further develop their skills in a mental health setting. If you do not feel you have mental health setting experience, please still consider this role as we can support your transition into the mental health setting and we have a good track record of this.
We are looking for someone who will have transferrable skills such as being able to organise their time, have good communication skills, be keen to learn and able to meet the demands of busy team environments and leadership role.
Candidates should be a Registered Dietitian with substantial clinical experience in dietetics, ideally experience of leading in quality improvements, service developments and research would be desirable however training and support would be provided to support this.
The clinical aspect of this role covers 2 inpatient wards over 2 sites. We work with people with a variety of conditions from functional diagnoses such as depression and psychosis to organic diagnoses such as vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s dementia. We provide full assessment of needs, input to formulation meetings, falls management and physical health/frailty care.
In addition to the wide range of clinical duties the post holder will provide clinical leadership in the specialist field of mental health services for older people in the North Yorkshire region, providing clinical supervision for two Band 5 Dietitians and one Band 3 Nutrition and Dysphagia Assistant. The post holder would also work alongside the current Band 7 in Durham & Darlington & Teesside area.
The role would also support services such as inpatient menu provision meetings, policy development, highlighting any specialist dietetic knowledge that may be appropriate. There will be the opportunity to participate in audit, research activities, pathway development and ongoing training needs of the clinical teams.
We have regular specialty team meetings to develop skills and provide peer support. We can provide training and support to engage with the complex needs of the patient group.
We have a robust clinical supervision structure and you would have opportunities to receive formal and informal training.
We are part of a wider dietetic team which covers adult mental health, children and young people, eating disorders, learning disabilities and secure inpatient services. We are supported by our Professional Head of Dietetic Services and several highly skilled Lead Dietitians. Our Dietetic Team is the largest and most established Specialist Mental Health/LD dietetic team in the UK and has strong links with the British Dietetic Association.
We are keen to support your involvement in student training. We provide placements for the MSc pre-registration course in Dietetics at Teesside University.
TEWV provides specialist care across Teesside, Darlington, County Durham, North Yorkshire and the Vale of York. Some of the benefits for staff working in the Trust include:
- Travel: Free parking, car sharing scheme (via Lift Share), Business Car Lease Scheme, Non Business Use Car Lease Scheme and Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Staff Wellbeing: Access to Trust gyms, rapid access to an independent counselling service, rapid access to physiotherapy, Occupational Health Services, free flu vaccinations at/near your place of work, dedicated Employee Support Service, Mindfulness Training, access to the Employee Psychology Service and Staff Retreats.
- Rewarding Employment Practices: Career development, Quality Improvement Systems (QIS), ability to purchase additional annual leave, career breaks, flexible working, Investors in People, childcare vouchers, nursery provision, pre-retirement provision, retirement gift, access to canteens and coffee shops, access to the Chaplaincy Service, staff surveys/experience, staff awards, long service recognition award and gift, Christmas savings club, staff lottery and access to Health Service Discounts.
Applicants must ensure that prior to applying they have agreement from their current line manager that they can be released on a secondment basis.
In the event that permanent funding is secured for this post the successful applicant will be confirmed in post on a permanent basis.
For further details / informal visits contact:
If you have any queries regarding this post then please do get in touch and we are happy to discuss the post further with you:
– Kezia Toase, Lead Dietitian in Mental Health Services for Older People on
– Bridget Lentell, Interim Head of service for Mental Health Services for Older People on in North Yorkshire and York on